Minor in Applied Linguistics
Students who wish to minor in applied linguistics should complete the following six requirements (15-18 hours). A grade of C or higher is required in all courses counting toward the minor. AL 3021/FORL 3021 Introduction to Linguistics is a prerequisite for all courses in 4-6. Students who wish to complete both a minor and a TEFL certificate may count some of the same courses toward requirements for both programs. The minor is 15-18 hours and the TEFL certificate is 15-18 hours; completed together they are 21-27 hours. See the departmental advisor for more information on this combined program of study.
- Lang 1002 Beginning Foreign Language II (3)*
- Any 2000 level AL/ForL course (3)+
- AL 3021/FORL 3021 Introduction to Linguistics (3)+
- Select one course. (3)
- AL 3041/FORL 3041 Introduction to Second Language Acquisition (3)
- AL 4131/FORL 4131 Bilingualism (3)
- AL 4011/FORL 4011 Phonetics & Phonology (3)
- AL 4012/FORL 4012 Morphology & Syntax (3)
*NOTE: The foreign language 1002 is waived if it is a requirement in the student’s declared major.
+NOTE: AL 2021 Introduction to English Linguistics or a passing exemption exam score is now a prerequisite to AL 3021.
Students can choose to combine the AL minor (15 hours) with the TEFL certificate program (15 hours), for a total of 7 courses or 21 hours of credit (if both the Lang 1002 and AL 2021 requirements are waived). A sample list of courses that would fulfill both program requirements is below:
- AL 2021 Intro to English Linguistics OR, if exemption exam is passed, 2101 Introduction to Language OR 2231 Understanding Miscommunication
- AL 3021 Intro to Linguistics
- AL 3041 Second Language Acquisition
- AL 3051 TEFL I Methods and Approaches
- AL 3101 English Grammar in Use
- AL 4011 Phonetics & Phonology OR AL 4012 Morphology & Syntax
- AL 4161 TEFL II Practicum